When it comes to planning the perfect wedding, there are definitely a lot of decisions to make.
A photographer might be asked to cover the wedding as well, which means that they need to find an outfit that can handle being in front of a camera as well. Instead of looking through the racks of clothes and picking out something nice just because it’s appropriate or practical, photographers should be aware of what they need and know the unique challenges that come with working at a wedding.
For example, photographers should think about what type of weather they’ll be shooting in, how many people will be present during their time on-site, and whether or not their equipment will fit into the dress code for their event. This guide offers some helpful tips to help you look your best while capturing those memories for yourself and your clients.
What should a photographer wear to a wedding?
The dress code is usually pretty strict when it comes to the photographers’ attire. Photographers should be aware of what kind of weather they’ll be shooting in, how many people will be present during their time on-site, and whether or not their equipment will fit into the dress code for their event.
Some general guidelines include:
- A photographer should wear dark colors that don’t show dirt easily, such as black or navy blue.
- If you’re shooting indoors, a t-shirt and jeans will work well (if you’re comfortable). However, if the photographer is going outside, they should consider wearing appropriate shoes so they won’t slip on wet grass or snow.
- Do your study and find out what dress code your event has before purchasing any clothes. That will also help decide what type of cameras and lenses you need to buy.
What to wear for different types of weddings
Photographers should be aware of their own needs and those of their clients when it comes to what they wear.
When going to a formal wedding, your photographer should dress in something that’s appropriate for the occasion. For example, if you’re covering a wedding, you should wear an outfit that is not too flashy or too formal.
If you’re shooting at a church or other religious ceremony, photographers should avoid wearing bright colors, floral prints, and anything that might appear inappropriate in the location. Instead, stick with darker tones like black or navy blue.
Special considerations for photographers
When working at a wedding, photographers should consider the following:
- Weather: photographers should be aware of what kind of weather they’ll be shooting in. A wedding is likely to take place on a day with either rain or snow, and it might also change from morning to evening. Photographers need to dress accordingly for the type of weather that’s expected during the event.
- Equipment: photographers will want to make sure their gear fits into the dress code for their event. They may need to bring a second camera or tripod just in case they can’t fit their equipment into their outfit. Other considerations like carrying cases and lenses also need to be taken into account when getting dressed for a wedding shoot.
Dress code basics
When you’re the one taking photos at a wedding, you don’t have to worry about covering up. But if you’re a guest and you want to be on camera, there are some things to keep in mind.
Your first step is finding out how your photographer will be dressing. Some photographers do their best work when they’re wearing black and white, while others might dress more casually or wear more color than you would expect.
It’s meaningful to note that not all events are photographed identically. For example, if it’s a summertime wedding outdoors with a short-length dress or no-sleeved shirt, then at least one item of clothing should be long-sleeved and appropriate for the temperature outdoors. The type of clothing worn by the bride and groom should also factor into what the photographer chooses, along with whether or not they’ll have access to the equipment needed for photography (such as sleeves).
Tips for photographers at the wedding.
First, photographers should make sure they’re taking the correct camera. A DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera is good for photographers. The lens on these cameras has an optical viewfinder that makes it easy to see what you’re shooting. This type of camera also has a variety of settings that allow you to change your focus and exposure without having to rely on the viewfinder.
Next, photographers should bring along their favorite lenses and tripod to ensure they can shoot at all angles while staying steady.
Lastly, photographers need to think about what kind of weather they’ll be shooting in before scheduling their wedding date. Regardless of whether or not it’s raining, photographers should make sure they have rain jackets, umbrellas, or some form of protection for themselves in case it does start raining during the ceremony or reception. This will help them stay dry and preserve the memories captured during their time on-site.
A photographer’s clothing should be clean, professional and suitable for the occasion. A wedding is a memorable event, and a photographer should dress consequently. In general, photographers should dress in a manner appropriate for an interview for this type of job, but more importantly, it should be appropriate for the occasion.